With our beautiful warm weather, great schools and plenty of outdoor activities on and off the water, there are countless reasons why families love living in Kelowna.
At Jane Hoffman Realty, we truly believe that there is a neighbourhood for everyone in our community. But what are the top family neighbourhoods in Kelowna, and where should newcomers and long-time residents consider moving to start, grow and nurture their families?
Here are our picks for the seven best family neighbourhoods in Kelowna, their school catchments and the lifestyle of each community.
1. Upper Mission
Tucked away in the hills and trees south of downtown Kelowna, Upper Mission is quickly becoming a favourite neighbourhood for young families. Here, newer homes boast incredible Okanagan Lake views and plenty of room to grow.
Catchment Schools in Upper Mission
What to Do in Upper Mission
- Explore the nearby Myra-Bellevue Provincial Park
- Spend an afternoon on the water at Cedar Creek Park
- Stroll the trails at Lebanon Creek Greenway Regional Park for stunning views of downtown and Okanagan Lake
2. Lower Mission
Nestled between Upper Mission and downtown, Lower Mission is a favourite family neighbourhood in Kelowna famed for its world-class schools. Families are drawn to the community for its reputable French immersion programs and stay for the incredible beaches and recreation.
Lower Mission Schools
Glenmore is a popular choice for families, and for good reason. When you find your dream home in Glenmore, you’re surrounded by great schools, boutique shops and Kelowna’s best restaurants. Located only a short walk from downtown, Glenmore boasts easy access to the amenities you need and activities you and your kids will love.
Glenmore Catchment Schools
Things to do in Glenmore
- Enjoy the cool lake water and expansive green space at Kelowna City Park
- Take a walk along the winding paths in Waterfront Park
- Hike and bike to your heart’s content at Knox Mountain
- Introduce your future thespians to the stage at Kelowna Community Theatre
- Pedal your e-bikes up and down the Okanagan Rail Trail
4. North Glenmore
If you love the convenience of living in Glenmore but dream of having more space, North Glenmore could be your perfect family neighbourhood in Kelowna. Tucked away in the hills above Knox Mountain, North Glenmore blends the allure of country living with the amenities of the big city. Plus, for trips to the airport or the north end of town, you can skip the traffic on Highway 97 in favour of Glenmore Road.
North Glenmore Schools
What to Do in North Glenmore
- Get some fresh air at Millard Glen Park
- Go for a hike at Brandt’s Creek Linear Park
- Taste the delicious local fruit at Apple Valley Orchard’s seasonal U-pick
- Enjoy off-leash time at North Glenmore Dog Park
- Explore the expansive wetlands and wildlife habitat at Stephens Coyote Ridge Regional Park
5. Black Mountain
Situated just east of the city centre, Black Mountain is a family neighbourhood in Kelowna known for spectacular views of the valley. Here, residents have access to some of the city’s best hiking trails. With everything from well-established communities to new developments on the hillside, Black Mountain has something for everyone.
Catchment Schools in Black Mountain
Activities around Black Mountain
- Take the kids to the swing set and playground at Loseth Park
- Walk the on-leash trails at Gopher Creek Linear Park or Bella Vista Park
- Hike through Black Mountain – sntsk‘il’ntən Regional Park for stunning views of the vast grasslands
- Skip the city traffic on your way to one of the world’s best family ski resorts at Big White
6. Lakeview Heights
You won’t find a better view than that of Lakeview Heights. Located on the western shores of Okanagan Lake, the neighbourhood started to take shape in the 1960s on land leased from Westbank First Nation. Today, Lakeview Heights is a flourishing family neighbourhood in West Kelowna praised for its beaches, vineyards and proximity to downtown.
Lakeview Heights Catchment Schools
Activities in Lakeview Heights
- Try your hand at tennis, pickleball or ball hockey at Anders Park
- Enjoy a picnic before taking a dip in the lake at Casa Loma Beach
- Catch a family-friendly movie at Landmark Cinemas West Kelowna
- Traverse beachfront hiking trails in Kalamoir Regional Park
- Sip wine with your visitors at one of the many West Kelowna wineries at the base of Mount Boucherie
7. Lake Country
Lake Country is last but certainly not least on our list of the best family neighbourhoods in Kelowna and the Okanagan. Surrounded by three beautiful lakes, green trees and plenty of vineyards and orchards, Lake Country sits just north of Kelowna. If you’re searching for a lakefront home that’s close to all the amenities without the hustle of big-city living, Lake Country could be the perfect fit.
Schools in Lake Country
Lake Country Family Activities
- Visit Swalwell Park, the district’s newest skate park right across from its newest school, H.S. Grenda Middle
- Cool off at the fruit-themed Trethway Splash Park
- Let the kids climb one of the many playgrounds at Apex Park, Copper Hill Park, Coral Beach, Jack Seaton Park, McCarthy Park, Okanagan Centre Park, Pioneer Park and Shoreline Park
- Soar above the valley at the Oyama Zipline Adventure Park
- Head down under at Kangaroo Creek Farm, now located behind the Kelowna International Airport
Want to learn more about the top family neighbourhoods in Kelowna? The luxury leaders at Jane Hoffman Realty are here to help you find the right home and community for your family. Contact us at 250-866-0088 or reach out to us online to get started.